PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Blood donation centers in the Pittsburgh area are extending their hours Saturday in response to the mass shooting at the Tree Of Life Synagogue in Squirrel Hill.
Vitalant, formerly called the Central Blood Bank, says they have provided blood to UPMC hospitals in anticipation of the increased need due to the shooting.
The blood previously collected and already at UPMC hospitals is helping to treat the shooting victims, and Vitalant will receive 200 additional blood components Saturday from its sister blood centers across the country to help meet ongoing blood needs.
- 11 Dead, Several Others Shot At Pittsburgh Synagogue
- Shooter Yelled ‘All Jews Must Die’ As He Opened Fire At Pittsburgh Synagogue
- Synagogue Shooting Prompts Condemnation, Prayers From All Angles
- Trump: If Pittsburgh Synagogue Had Armed Guard, ‘Results Would Have Been Far Better’
- Pittsburgh-Area Blood Donation Centers Extend Hours In Response To Shooting
- Ohio Governor Orders Flags Lowered After Synagogue Shooting
- Sports Teams Standing With Pittsburgh After Synagogue Shooting: ‘We’ll Stick Together And Rally Around Them’
- Hundreds Mourn Synagogue Shooting Victims At Squirrel Hill Vigil: ‘This Is Not Something That We’re Going To Let Break Us’
- Squirrel Hill Residents In Shock, Mourning After Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting
- Synagogue Shooting The Latest In The History Of Pittsburgh’s Mass Shootings
- Identities Of Those Killed, Injured In Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting Starting To Be Released
- ‘An Attack On Everything That We Stand For’: Rabbi Late For Service, Misses Shooting By Mere Minutes
- ‘It Rips Your Heart Out’: Mayor Bill Peduto Reacts To Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting
- ‘This Would Have Been Much Worse’: Officials Praise Law Enforcement Response To Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting
- PHOTO GALLERY: 11 Dead, Several Others Shot At Pittsburgh Synagogue
Individuals who are as young as 16 years of age (with parental consent), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in general good health may be eligible to donate blood.
The following Vitalant blood donation centers will be open until 5 p.m. today for anyone who wants to donate:
• Harmar/Fox Chapel
• Moon Township
• North Hills
• Parkway Center
• South Hills
• Peters Township
For specific directions to these donation centers, please call (412)-209-7000 and choose option 2 or visit donateblood.centralbloodbank.org.
Vitalant says O-positive, O-negative and platelet donations are needed most.