PITTSBURGH (KDKA/AP) — The identities of those killed and injured in a mass shooting at Squirrel Hill’s Tree of Life Synagogue on Saturday morning are beginning to be released.
KDKA-TV has learned that one victim was Daniel Stein. Friends describe Stein as a family man and a new grandfather.
The other 10 victims have not yet been identified. Mayor Bill Peduto says their identities will be released at 9 a.m. Sunday.
- 11 Dead, Several Others Shot At Pittsburgh Synagogue
- Shooter Yelled ‘All Jews Must Die’ As He Opened Fire At Pittsburgh Synagogue
- Synagogue Shooting Prompts Condemnation, Prayers From All Angles
- Trump: If Pittsburgh Synagogue Had Armed Guard, ‘Results Would Have Been Far Better’
- Pittsburgh-Area Blood Donation Centers Extend Hours In Response To Shooting
- Ohio Governor Orders Flags Lowered After Synagogue Shooting
- Sports Teams Standing With Pittsburgh After Synagogue Shooting: ‘We’ll Stick Together And Rally Around Them’
- Hundreds Mourn Synagogue Shooting Victims At Squirrel Hill Vigil: ‘This Is Not Something That We’re Going To Let Break Us’
- Squirrel Hill Residents In Shock, Mourning After Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting
- Synagogue Shooting The Latest In The History Of Pittsburgh’s Mass Shootings
- Identities Of Those Killed, Injured In Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting Starting To Be Released
- ‘An Attack On Everything That We Stand For’: Rabbi Late For Service, Misses Shooting By Mere Minutes
- ‘It Rips Your Heart Out’: Mayor Bill Peduto Reacts To Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting
- ‘This Would Have Been Much Worse’: Officials Praise Law Enforcement Response To Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting
- PHOTO GALLERY: 11 Dead, Several Others Shot At Pittsburgh Synagogue
In addition to those killed, at least six others were injured.
In all, five patients came to UPMC Presbyterian.
“The first patient was a 61-year-old female who had extremity soft tissue injuries that required cleaning in the operative room,” Dr. Daniel Yealy, UPMC Chief of Emergency Medicine, said.
She is stable and improving.
“Next was a 70-year-old male who had gunshot wounds in his torso involving major organs inside of his abdomen,” Yealy said.
His name is Daniel Leger, a nurse and chaplain at UPMC. He has had two operations and was last reported to be in critical condition. His brother tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Daniel was in critical condition Saturday after undergoing surgery at UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland, Pennsylvania.
Daniel Leger, who is married and has two sons, was scheduled to lead a service Saturday morning at the Tree of Life synagogue.
“A 55-year-old officer was also seen who had multiple extremity wounds, went to the OR for repair and cleaning of those wounds,” Yealy said.
That man is in the ICU in critical condition.
“Another officer had essentially soft tissue injuries and grazing and was having a complete evaluation,” Yealy said.
That victim is a 40-year-old SWAT officer who is listed in critical condition.
“Another officer went to UPMC Mercy, had an extremity injury that required intervention and evaluation in the operating room,” Yealy said.
He suffered a hand injury, underwent surgery and is stable and doing well.
One other officer arrived at Presbyterian with injuries that were handled by the emergency room and he was released.
Another person was taken to Allegheny General Hospital. According to multiple sources, that person is the suspect in the shooting. The suspect, who has been identified as Robert Bowers, was reportedly shot multiple times and was last listed in fair condition.
Bowers opened fire at the synagogue on Saturday morning, reportedly yelling, “All Jews must die.”
Federal charges were filed against Bowers on Saturday evening. The shooting is being considered a hate crime.
A GoFundMe page has also been set up to benefit the victims, their families and the synagogue. If you would like to donate, click here.
(TM and © Copyright 2018 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)