SQUIRREL HILL (KDKA) – People have been gathering to remember the victims of Saturday’s shooting and to comfort one another.READ MORE: Children's Museum Of Pittsburgh Welcomes Visitors Back Inside
Eleven people lost their lives and several others were injured, including four police officers. Now, the memorial outside of the synagogue continues to grow.
Flowers, candles and a Star of David bearing the name of each of the 11 victims have been added.
For at least the next week, this crime scene will be blocked off. The crime tape is still up and pairs of officers sit at every nearby intersection.
Every street that runs between Murray and Shady is blocked in the neighborhood. Officials are asking for neighbors to be patient and for people who travel through Squirrel Hill to find ways to avoid this area.READ MORE: Pittsburgh Police Safely Locate Missing 14-Year-Old Joseph Freund
On Sunday, thousands flocked to Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall in Oakland for a vigil. Only 2,000 could fit inside, but everyone else stood outside in the rain.
- 11 Dead, Several Others Shot At Pittsburgh Synagogue
- Victims In Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting Identified
- Shooter Yelled ‘All Jews Must Die’ As He Opened Fire At Pittsburgh Synagogue
- DA Files Criminal Homicide Charges Against Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting Suspect
- ‘Just Stop The Hate’: Thousands Flock To Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall For Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting Vigil
- Steelers Hold Moment Of Silence, React To Synagogue Shooting
- Penguins Cancel Halloween Themed Night, Will Hold Collection To Benefit Victims Of Synagogue Shooting
- More related stories
Rabbi Jeffrey Myers spoke for the first time since the tragic incident.
“I began services at 9:45, the shooting started a few minutes after. There were 12 of us in the sanctuary at the time and as is customary in the Jewish faith and I’ve also seen it in other faiths all the early people sit in the back,” Myers said. “I helped pull out the people I could from the front. But, alas, I had eight people in the back. One fortunately survived. Seven of my congregants were shot dead in my sanctuary.”
For school students who caught buses at the intersection of Shady and Wilkins, those bus stops will be rerouted to stop at Shady and Northumberland.MORE NEWS: Redistricting Committees Named In West Virginia
The schools across the city will start this morning with a moment of silence.