PLUM (KDKA) – A crash involving two tractor-trailers has closed a section of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
According to officials, the crash happened in the westbound lanes around 4:30 a.m. The crash is located at mile marker 48.9 in Plum.
The westbound lanes of the Turnpike are closed between Pittsburgh (Exit 57) and Allegheny Valley (Exit 48). Those restrictions are expected to be in place for several hours. Officials hope to have the westbound lanes open again in time for the afternoon rush hour.
One tractor-trailer overturned and debris spilled into the eastbound lanes. As a result, there is an eastbound restriction in the area.
TURNPIKE UPDATE: All westbound lanes between Pittsburgh & Allegheny Valley will be closed for several hours. There is also an eastbound restriction due to debris on the roadway. **One tractor trailer is overturned, one is upright.** @KDKA pic.twitter.com/KNnQ0OKLLP
— Celina Pompeani (@CelinaPompeani) December 14, 2018
Meanwhile, the following detour is in effect:
- Take Interstate 376 west (16 miles) to I-279 north (Fort Duquesne Bridge)
- Bear right on bridge (I-279 north) to State Route 28 north exit
- Stay on State Route 28 north (23 miles) to Harmarville exit, Route 910 eat (1/10 mile)
- Turn left on Freeport Road
- Re-enter Pennsylvania Turnpike at the Allegheny Valley Interchange