Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter

EVERSON, Pa. (KDKA) — A space heater sparked a fire that caused damage to two homes in Fayette County on Sunday.

READ MORE: Live Winter Storm Tracker: Snow Now Expected To Reach 6-12 Inches In Pittsburgh

It happened around 6:15 p.m. at a home on Brown Street near Shipley Street.

(Photo Credit: Ed Riedmann)

According to the Everson Volunteer Fire Chief, the fire was coming through the roof in the back of the home, and the flames extended to a second home.

READ MORE: Pittsburgh Weather: The Snow Has Arrived

The scene was cleared around 9:20 p.m.

Fire officials determined a space heater in the rear bedroom of the home started the fire. The home is uninhabitable for the time being.

(Photo Credit: Ed Riedmann)

A mother and daughter lived in the home where the fire started. Neither were there at the time, but two dogs and two cats were inside. Both dogs have been accounted for, but the cats have not been found.

MORE NEWS: 'Stay Home If You Can': Wolf Administration Urges Pennsylvanians To Stay Off Roads

There was minor damage to the attic and roof of the second home, which is currently vacant.