PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — WW Ambassador Mary Vogliano stops by with some waistline-friendly recipes for summertime.
Shrimp Salad with Fennel, Red Onion, and Orange
Serves: 4 | SmartPoints: 1
• 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
• ¼ tsp black pepper
• 3 large orange(s)
• 1 pound(s), peeled and deveined (medium) cooked shrimp
• 1 medium, trimmed and very thinly sliced uncooked fennel bulb(s)
• ½ small, thinly sliced uncooked red onion(s)
• 12 medium, pitted olive(s)
• 1 Tbsp, chopped, or parsley fennel fronds
1. To make dressing, whisk together lemon juice, oil, and pepper in small bowl.
2. To section oranges, cut slice off top and bottom end. Stand orange and slice off peel and white pith, turning orange as you cut. Hold fruit over large bowl to catch juices and cut between membranes to release sections, allowing sections and juice to fall into bowl.
3. Add shrimp, fennel, onion, olives, fennel fronds, and dressing to oranges and toss to combine.
Serving size: about 2 cupsREAD MORE: Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership Paying Struggling Restaurants To Provide For Food Insecure Communities
Cooked and peeled shrimp are pricey, but they’re worth it for the prep time you save. Buying them in the frozen food department and thawing them at home is usually a bit less expensive than getting them in the seafood department.
Creamsicle Ice Cream Soda
Serves: 4 | SmartPoints: 5
• 1¼ cup(s) light vanilla ice cream
• ½ cup(s) seltzer
• ½ cup(s) fresh orange juice
• ½ cup(s) ice cube(s)
• 2 tsp sugar
• ½ tsp, finely grated (plus orange slices for garnish) orange zest
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender; blend until creamy. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
If you prefer, swap store-bought orange juice for fresh juice. This recipe is easily doubled.