WEST ELIZABETH (KDKA) — A cable and bracket problem requiring “immediate attention” has the Elizabeth Bridge in West Elizabeth closed, officials said.
No traffic will be allowed on the bridge indefinitely.READ MORE: Dan + Shay Win Duo Of The Year At 56th Academy Of Country Music Awards
PennDOT said the bridge was indefinitely closed in the interest of public safety.
Elizabeth Borough Police Chief William Sombo said the bridge will remain closed through the weekend and possibly into next week.
REPORTER UPDATE: Chris Hoffman Live From Morning Commute Back Ups
Police are trying to figure out what happened.READ MORE: 'We've Noticed An Increase In Shootings:' Police Investigate House Party Shooting That Left One Dead
No one has been injured, Sombo said.
The posted detour can be found below.
Northbound Route 51
- From northbound Route 51 approaching the Elizabeth Bridge, take the ramp to Elizabeth/Glassport
- Turn right onto North 3rd Avenue
- North 3rd Avenue becomes McKeesport Road
- McKeesport Road becomes Lincoln Boulevard
- Lincoln Boulevard becomes Glassport-Elizabeth Road
- Turn left and cross the Clairton-Glassport Bridge
- Turn left onto southbound Route 837 (North State Street)
- Take the ramp toward Elizabeth/Pittsburgh
- Merge onto northbound Route 51 toward Pittsburgh
- End detour
Southbound Route 51MORE NEWS: Restored Plane That Led D-Day Bombings Will Visit Dayton Ohio
- From southbound Route 51, take the ramp to North Route 837 toward Clairton
- Follow Route 837 (State Street) northbound to the Clairton-Glassport Bridge
- Turn right and cross the bridge
- Turn right onto Glassport-Elizabeth Road
- Glassport-Elizabeth Road becomes Lincoln Boulevard
- Lincoln Boulevard becomes McKeesport Road
- McKeesport Road becomes North Second Avenue
- Turn left onto Market Street
- Follow straight onto the ramp back to southbound Route 51
- End detour
Stay with KDKA for more on this developing story.