MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. (KDKA) – Flames and smoke engulfed a home this afternoon in Moon Township.
Moon Township Police confirmed the fire which in the 500 block of Moon Clinton Road.READ MORE: Moon Twp. Garden Club Gives Away Plants For Victory Garden Initiative
We’re on the scene of a fire in Moon Township in the 500 block of Moon Clinton Road. This is as far as crews are letting us get at the moment. I’ve counted at least 20 emergency vehicles on scene. @KDKA pic.twitter.com/GPCUzsKVCA
— Shelby Cassesse (@ShelbyCassesse) October 14, 2019
KDKA’s Shelby Cassesse reports from the scene that at least one person was taken away on a stretcher and put into the back of an ambulance.
Officials say he is the relative of the people who live in the home. He began experiencing chest pains and was taken to the hospital to be checked out. His condition has not been released.
The homeowner was not in the home when the fire broke out; however, firefighters rescued 10 dogs from the residence.
The fire started on the second floor. Most of the dogs were in the basement at the time. All of them are safe.
“When we arrived, there were some neighbors that were helping to get the dogs out with the police,” said Moon Township Fire Chief John Scott.READ MORE: Program Offers Free Training To Police Officers For Safe Arrests
“They were very instrumental in getting them all out, but all the dogs were accounted for.”
As for the house, the majority of the damage is on the second floor. The rest of the home has significant smoke and water damage and is considered a total loss.
The smoke and flames were so intense, firefighters and police kept people away from the scene for hours.
Though the cause of the fire is under investigation, the chief said it’s important this time of year to not leave space heaters unsupervised.
“People are starting to use space heaters, portable space heaters, to warm their houses up. We just wanted to remind people not to leave them unattended,” the chief said.
“They do create a lot of heat and the cords can get very hot whenever they’re turned on and they can start a fire.”
Though the cause of the fire is under investigation, the chief said its important this time of year to not leave space heaters unsupervised.
— Shelby Cassesse (@ShelbyCassesse) October 14, 2019MORE NEWS: Beer Truck Slams Into Home Near Cleveland
Stay with KDKA.com for the latest on this developing story.