NORTH STRABANE TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — A social media challenge is prompting warnings from firefighters.

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

The “outlet challenge” is spreading quickly across TikTok.

READ MORE: Parents Watch Clairton-Leechburg Football Game From Outside The Stadium

To complete the challenge, you partially plug a phone charger into an outlet, then slide a penny down onto the exposed prongs.

When the coin makes contact with the prongs, it creates a spark and smoke.

READ MORE: Fourth Stimulus Check: Will You See Another Relief Payment Soon?

“The electricity propels the charger and the coin,” Plymouth Fire Department Chief Ed Bradley said. “Now the coin is molten metal at this point, outwards. It could easily get you in the face, get you in the eye. It could cause blindness and it could cause your clothing to catch on fire.”

The North Strabane Fire Department says doing the challenge is a fire hazard.

MORE NEWS: UPMC Children's Hospital Leaders Say Hospital Will Not Turn Kids Away Or Ration Care Amid Increase In Patients

The Duquesne Annex VFC posted on Facebook to warn parents.