DUQUESNE (KDKA) — Smoke and flames forced a family of four out into the cold early Monday morning in Duquesne.

The call first came in around 5:47 a.m. of a fire in 100 block of Peters Street.

READ MORE: Truck Crash And Fire Briefly Shuts Down Route 28

(Photo Credit: KDKA Reporter Nicole Ford)

Debra Long’s kitchen is now crumbling. She says her husband was cooking in the middle of the night, and accidentally left the stove top on.

Thankfully, all four adults and a dog got out safely.

Long says she quickly called 911.

READ MORE: Robinson Township Police's First K-9 Celebrates Final Shift

The fire chief says the fire was in the back of the cabinets, but they were able to get it under control in about 15 minutes.

As for the Long family, they are figuring out where to go from here.

“A little sad,” said Long. “My kitchen is just a wreck, and I walk in and remember how nice it was, but it’s just a total wreck.”

MORE NEWS: Hussey Copper Smelting Facility In Leetsdale Agrees To Pay Settlement For Environmental Violations

The family says they are thankful for the smoke alarm in their basement that woke them up. The smoke alarms upstairs didn’t have batteries.