WILKINSBURG, Pa. (KDKA) — The man found not guilty in the Wilkinsburg mass shooting trial has been charged with illegally possessing a rifle and ammunition.
The Department of Justice announced Cheron Shelton was indicted by a federal grand jury on a charge of violating federal firearms laws, announced Tuesday.
The indictment says on March 12, 2016, that Shelton possed a Colt Model M4, a .22 caliber rifle, knowing that he had been previously convicted of a crime.
When reached for comment, the DA’s office said:
“The defendant is classified as a felon not to possess a weapon and the charge is appropriate.”
Shelton was the lone defendant accused of killing five people and an unborn baby at a cookout in Wilkinsburg on March 9, 2016.
The jury was tasked with deciding if Shelton was innocent or guilty of first-degree murder or third-degree murder.
He was found not guilty on Feb. 14.
During that trial, evidence of a rifle did come up in testimony.
Attorneys talked about the weapon, which investigators found at Cheron Shelton’s mother’s house. Investigators also swabbed for fingerprints and confirmed that one of Shelton’s fingerprints was discovered on that weapon.
- Jury Dismissed After Day 3 Of Deliberations In Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial
- Jury In Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial Leave 2nd Full Day Of Deliberations Without Verdict
- First Full Day Of Deliberations In Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial Ends Without Verdict
- Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial In The Jury’s Hands
- Defense Attorneys: Witness Says DA’s Office Paid Them To Fabricate Claims In Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial
- Judge Holds Man In Contempt Of Court, Sentences Him To Jail Time For ‘Obstructing’ Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial
- Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Suspect Robert Thomas Out Of Jail After Having Case Dismissed
- Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial Getting Underway, Judge Tosses Case Against Suspect Robert Thomas
KDKA’s Meghan Schiller asked about the timing of this federal grand jury indicement.
She asked did it happen immediately after the trial?
She was told “no comment.”
Chelton is currently in the Allegheny County Jail on other charges.