PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Allegheny County Health Department officials believe they are seeing community spread of coronavirus.
There are 18 cases in the county, with six new cases announced on Thursday.
At an afternoon press conference, health officials said they think there is community spread with the cases — but not all of them. There aren’t exact details about how many could have been a result of community spread.
Health officials also say they don’t believe there’s one geographic area where there are any “clusters” of coronavirus. Exact details about where in the county these cases are located can’t be provided.
Health officials say they’re beginning to trace the sources of the six new cases while still investigating some previous cases where details are needed.
Any additional information will be provided as it’s available, the county health department says.
- Coronavirus In Pennsylvania: Gov. Tom Wolf Cancels All K-12 Schools
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh Area: Coronavirus Case Confirmed In Washington Co., Western Pa.’s First
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: Two Cases Of Coronavirus Confirmed In City Of Pittsburgh
- Coronavirus In Pennsylvania: State’s First Coronavirus-Related Death Confirmed
- Coronavirus In Beaver County: Shell To Temporarily Shut Down Construction At Cracker Plant
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: Area Restaurants Offering Takeout And Delivery Amid COVID-19 Outbreak
- More Coronavirus News
County health officials said we could be dealing with coronavirus for “weeks to months,” but it’s an evolving situation with no concrete timeline.
According to the county health department, coronavirus will soon be spreading in virtually every community in the country and the world, with an estimated 40 to 60 percent of county residents infected with COVID-19. However, they estimate that among those infected, about 80 percent will not need any medical attention and will get better on their own.
Residents are urged to stay home if they’re sick. If not sick, residents are encouraged to practice social distancing.
More information on the Coronavirus pandemic: