PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — The Allegheny County Health Department says the first person has died in Allegheny County of the coronavirus.
The person who died had been hospitalized.
According to Allegheny Health Network, the patient had been hospitalized at Jefferson Hospital.
They will not release any other information about the patient.
Bethany Hallam, councilwoman for Allegheny County Council At Large, tweeted out her support for the patient’s family.
I’m so heart broken to hear that a member of our Allegheny County community has lost their life to COVID-19. My sincerest sympathies to their family at this most difficult time 💔 We are now at 31 confirmed cases here. pic.twitter.com/eCOrFCY9fF
— Bethany Hallam (@bethanyhallam) March 21, 2020
There is now a total of 31 positive cases of coronavirus in the county. Out of all the cases, five people are being hospitalized for treatment.
- Coronavirus In Pennsylvania: Gov. Tom Wolf Cancels All K-12 Schools
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh Area: Coronavirus Case Confirmed In Washington Co., Western Pa.’s First
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: Two Cases Of Coronavirus Confirmed In City Of Pittsburgh
- Coronavirus In Pennsylvania: State’s First Coronavirus-Related Death Confirmed
- Coronavirus In Beaver County: Shell To Temporarily Shut Down Construction At Cracker Plant
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: Area Restaurants Offering Takeout And Delivery Amid COVID-19 Outbreak
- More Coronavirus News
“Our thoughts, prayers, and sympathy go out to the family and friends of this individual,” said County Executive Rich Fitzgerald. “This is a serious health issue, but the steps being taken in our community over the past week have been helping. We need to remain focused on ‘flattening the curve’ and making sure that all of our resources are being focused on preparing to help those who are most in need.”
More information on the Coronavirus pandemic:
- CDC Coronavirus Information
- CDC Global Map of Confirmed COVID-19 Cases
- Pennsylvania Department of Health Information
- Allegheny County Health Department Information
Stay with KDKA for the latest on this developing story.