PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — The Allegheny County Health Department says they have confirmed eight new positive cases of Coronavirus in the county.
That brings the county-wide total now to 48 cases.
According to the Health Department, six patients are hospitalized.
There are 48 positive cases of #COVID19 in @allegheny_co & six individuals are currently hospitalized. As with prior days, there is an expectation that there are additional cases that are not yet in the disease surveillance system. pic.twitter.com/gjkH9EFFii
— Allegheny County Health Department (@HealthAllegheny) March 23, 2020
The Health Department believes there are additional cases that are not yet in the disease surveillance system.
The Allegheny County Health Department is urging residents to stay home if they’re sick. If not sick, residents are encouraged to practice social distancing. Enforcement of Gov. Tom Wolf’s order for all non-life sustaining businesses to close got underway this morning.
- Coronavirus In Pennsylvania: Gov. Tom Wolf Cancels All K-12 Schools
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh Area: Coronavirus Case Confirmed In Washington Co., Western Pa.’s First
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: Two Cases Of Coronavirus Confirmed In City Of Pittsburgh
- Coronavirus In Pennsylvania: State’s First Coronavirus-Related Death Confirmed
- Coronavirus In Beaver County: Shell To Temporarily Shut Down Construction At Cracker Plant
- Coronavirus Closures And Changes: Attractions, Businesses, And Events Canceled Or Closed In Pittsburgh, Across Western Pa.
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: Area Restaurants Offering Takeout And Delivery Amid COVID-19 Outbreak
- More Coronavirus News
Health department officials are saying the virus will not slow on its own until it has infected most people. However, they estimate that among those infected, about 80 percent will not need any medical attention and will get better on their own.
More information on the Coronavirus pandemic:
- CDC Coronavirus Information
- CDC Global Map of Confirmed COVID-19 Cases
- Pennsylvania Department of Health Information
- Allegheny County Health Department Information
Stay with KDKA for the latest on the developing story.