HARRISBURG, Pa. (KDKA) – All K-12 schools in Pennsylvania will be closed for another two weeks amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Schools were set to reopen after this Friday, but in a Monday afternoon press conference, Gov. Tom Wolf announced all statewide mitigation efforts — including school closures — will be extended for two more weeks.
READ MORE: 'No Hospitalization, No Funeral, No Burial': Woman Formerly Of Clairton Accused Of Dismembering Husband's Body, Collecting His Benefits
Protecting the health and safety of students, families, teachers, and all employees who work in our schools is paramount during this national health crisis – we must continue our efforts to mitigate the spread of #COVID19.
— PA Department of Education (@PADeptofEd) March 23, 2020
“These measures may seem extreme,” Gov. Wolf said. “However, we are in desperate times and need to make drastic changes in order to save lives.”READ MORE: Lawsuit Claims Driver Involved In Crash On Pa. Turnpike In Westmoreland County That Killed 5 Wore Noise-Canceling Headphones
- Coronavirus In Pennsylvania: Gov. Tom Wolf Cancels All K-12 Schools
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh Area: Coronavirus Case Confirmed In Washington Co., Western Pa.’s First
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: Two Cases Of Coronavirus Confirmed In City Of Pittsburgh
- Coronavirus In Pennsylvania: State’s First Coronavirus-Related Death Confirmed
- Coronavirus In Beaver County: Shell To Temporarily Shut Down Construction At Cracker Plant
- Coronavirus Closures And Changes: Attractions, Businesses, And Events Canceled Or Closed In Pittsburgh, Across Western Pa.
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: Area Restaurants Offering Takeout And Delivery Amid COVID-19 Outbreak
- More Coronavirus News
At the same press conference, Gov. Wolf put in place a stay-at-home order for several counties, including Allegheny County. The order was also issued for Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Monroe and Montgomery counties.MORE NEWS: FDA Advisers Endorse Pfizer’s COVID-19 Vaccine For Kids Ages 5 To 11
More information on the Coronavirus pandemic: