ALLEGHENY COUNTY (KDKA) — The man found not guilty in the Wilkinsburg mass shooting trial has been ordered detained pending trial on a gun charge.
The Department of Justice announced in February that Shelton was indicted by a federal grand jury on a charge of violating federal firearms laws.
The indictment says on March 12, 2016, Shelton possessed a Colt Model M4, a .22 caliber rifle, knowing that he had been previously been convicted of a crime.READ MORE: Two Of The Three Victims Killed In The Biomat USA Plasma Center Car Crash Were Employees
Shelton was the lone defendant accused of killing five people and an unborn baby at a cookout in Wilkinsburg on March 9, 2016.
The jury was tasked with deciding if Shelton was innocent or guilty of first-degree murder or third-degree murder.
He was found not guilty on Feb. 14.READ MORE: Sunday's Severe Storms Leave Thousands Without Power And Cleaning Up
During that trial, evidence of a rifle did come up in testimony.
Attorneys talked about the weapon, which investigators found at Cheron Shelton’s mother’s house. Investigators also swabbed for fingerprints and confirmed that one of Shelton’s fingerprints was discovered on that weapon.
RELATED STORIES:MORE NEWS: Pittsburgh Police Searching For Missing 74-Year-Old Woman Janet McGregor
- Jury Dismissed After Day 3 Of Deliberations In Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial
- Jury In Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial Leave 2nd Full Day Of Deliberations Without Verdict
- First Full Day Of Deliberations In Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial Ends Without Verdict
- Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial In The Jury’s Hands
- Defense Attorneys: Witness Says DA’s Office Paid Them To Fabricate Claims In Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial
- Judge Holds Man In Contempt Of Court, Sentences Him To Jail Time For ‘Obstructing’ Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial
- Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Suspect Robert Thomas Out Of Jail After Having Case Dismissed
- Wilkinsburg Mass Shooting Trial Getting Underway, Judge Tosses Case Against Suspect Robert Thomas
Shelton is a convicted felon and is not allowed to have a gun.