YORK COUNTY (AP) — A Pennsylvania state lawmaker defied Gov. Tom Wolf’s statewide stay-at-home order when he organized and attended a meeting with more than 150 others.
The York Daily Record reports that the meeting was at Wisehaven Event Center on Saturday evening in York County, which like 42 other counties is still under Wolf’s tightest pandemic restrictions.READ MORE: North Allegheny Mask Debate Continues At Virtual School Board Meeting
- ‘Understand The Consequences’: Pa. Gov. Wolf Issues Stern Warning To Businesses Defying Coronavirus Shutdown Order
- Gov. Tom Wolf Announces 13 Western Pa. Counties Moving Into Coronavirus ‘Yellow Phase,’ Including Pittsburgh Metro Area
- ‘Doing This Slowly And Safely’: Pittsburgh Small Businesses Eager To Start Opening ‘Responsibly’ Next Friday
- ‘I Think We’re Ready To Open Up Responsibly’: Local Businesses Eagerly Wait For Gov. Tom Wolf To Announce When They Can Reopen
- ‘Once We Meet A Criteria, It Seems The Bar Is Raised’: Local Businesses Disappointed Restrictions Won’t Be Lifted In The Southwest Region Come Friday
- More Coronavirus Coverage
The vast majority of attendees were not wearing masks, and many shook hands, hugged and sat close together, all apparently in violation of state and federal social distancing guidelines.READ MORE: Nevada Man Who Admitted To Driving To West Mifflin For Sex With 15-Year-Old Girl Sentenced To 6 1/2 Years In Prison
Rep. Mike Jones, a first-term Republican who criticized Wolf in his speech to attendees, said the meeting was meant to gauge the business community’s feelings about reopening.
“I think we got Wolf on the ropes,” Jones said, according to the York Daily Record. “The last 48 hours has been extremely encouraging. It’s just like a boxing match. It’s time to knock him out. Because when you call his bluff and you fight, they cave. They don’t have the horses. They don’t have the soldiers. They don’t have the guts. … The bark is way, way worse than the bite.”MORE NEWS: Somerset County District Attorney Jeffrey Thomas Arrested And Charged With Rape
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.)