BEAVER, Pa. (KDKA) – A federal investigation is underway into the Brighton Rehab and Wellness Center, Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar says.
Federal inspectors were there from May 12 through 14 going over data, KDKA’s Nicole Ford reports.READ MORE: Pittsburgh Police Cracking Down On Off-Road Vehicles Driving City Streets
The latest data released by the Pennsylvania Department of Health Tuesday reports 368 residents at the Beaver County nursing home have tested positive for coronavirus and 76 have died. Thirty-one employees have also tested positive.
Azar cites the number of lives lost at that facility as the reason for the investigation.
RELATED STORIES:READ MORE: Pittsburgh Bankruptcy Judge Approves Sale Of Century-Old Conneaut Lake Park
- Coronavirus In Pennsylvania: Nursing Homes Hit Hard, Including Beaver Co. Facility Where 11 Are Dead
- ‘It’s Going Through Nursing Homes Like Wildfire’: Woman Speaks Out After 73-Year-Old Father Dies Of Coronavirus
- Coronavirus in Beaver County: Workers At Nursing Home To Receive Hazard Pay, Personal Protective Equipment
- Beaver Co. Nursing Home Presuming All 800 Residents And Staff Have Coronavirus
- Coronavirus In Beaver County: Healthcare Workers Who Walked Off The Job Citing Unsafe Conditions Reach Deal With Owners
- Workers Highly Concerned, Demanding Safer Conditions And Hazard Pay After Coronavirus Outbreak At Beaver Co. Nursing Home
“Our states have got to take this serious. We are quite concerned about our fatality rates,” Azar said.
This investigation is on top of the state investigation, which is rare according to Azar since it is typically a state jurisdiction. Pennsylvania’s top prosecutor opened a criminal investigation into nursing homes mid-May.
“When you have this many deaths in one facility, you just have to send your federal inspectors in to make sure we find out what happened and demand accountability. because at the end of the day, these are our Medicaid and Medicare beneficiaries being put at risk,” Azar said.MORE NEWS: West Virginia Woman Charged With Shooting, Killing Her Dad And Boyfriend
The findings will be released to the public when complete, Azar says.