Firefighters had to rescue a man who ran back inside his home to get his cat during a house fire.

By: KDKA-TV News Staff

NEW CASTLE, Pa. (KDKA) – Firefighters were able to rescue a 24-year-old man from a house fire in New Castle early on Wednesday morning.

READ MORE: COVID-19 Vaccines: FDA Set To Discuss Single-Dose Johnson & Johnson Vaccine

According to Assistant Fire Chief Mike Kobe, the fire started just after midnight at a home in the 800 block of East Lutton Street.

Firefighters responded to a call for a kitchen fire at a home with one man and multiple animals.

The man initially was able to escape the home but return to get his cat which he believed had been in the attic. The smoke became so heavy he was unable to get out of the home.

READ MORE: Giant Eagle, Pittsburgh Steelers Hosting COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic At Heinz Field

Firefighters rescued him and he was taken to an area hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Kobe says the fire started due to food cooking on the stove.

The fire spread to the walls and destroyed the kitchen.

No other injuries were sustained in the fire and the animals survived.

MORE NEWS: American Dermatological Association Warns Parents Over Dangerous Skincare Trend On TikTok

CORRECTION: This story has been updated to reflect the correct pronoun of the homeowner.