PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Pittsburgh Public Schools has announced they are delaying the start of the school year to September 8.
The announcement comes after a supply-chain shortage, making it difficult for all students to get laptops in order to learn from home.READ MORE: Karli Short Remembered As Someone With A 'Beautiful Smile That Lit Up A Room'
“No one has ever had to deal with something like this before, and everyone just has to be as patient as possible,” said Sylvia Wilson, school board president. “No one could have foreseen that we’re still dealing with this, and again, we just don’t have the equipment. Vendors out there promised, we haven’t gotten it. Everyone needs to be as patient as possible.”
RELATED STORIES:READ MORE: CDC Advisory Panel Recommends Pfizer COVID-19 Booster Shots For Millions Of Americans
- High Demand For Computer Devices Quickly Exhausts Pittsburgh Public Schools’ Supply Hours Into Distribution
- Comcast Launches Program To Help Nearly 2,000 Pittsburgh Public Schools Students Connect To Internet For Free
- Pittsburgh Public Schools Teachers Begin Training For School Year Unlike Any Other
- Pittsburgh Public Schools Pledges To Get Every Student A Device For Online Learning
- Pittsburgh Public Schools Board Votes For Online-Only Classes During First 9 Weeks
On Saturday, hundreds of students were without laptops as hundreds of people waited in line for the technology.
“Similar to school districts in our region, we must delay the start of school to ensure all students have the opportunity to fully participate in E-Learning,” said Superintendent Anthony Hamlet. “At this time the distribution of devices is only for those families of students who do not have access to a device. By delaying the start of school we can ensure that no student is inequitably disadvantaged because they do not have access to the tools they need to start the school year successfully.”MORE NEWS: City Of Pittsburgh Releases 50-Year Plan For Transportation
The school says that up to 7,000 devices are expected to arrive by the end of next week.