NEW KENSINGTON, Pa. (KDKA) – Westmoreland County prosecutors will seek the death penalty for a man charged with beating a boy to death.
The Westmoreland County district attorney said Keith Lilly Jr. qualifies for the death penalty because of the aggravating circumstances and the severity of the case.
Lilly is charged in the murder of 3-year-old Mikel Fetterman.
Police say Fetterman was found unresponsive on March 26 inside a home on Fifth Avenue in New Kensington. He was taken to Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh, where he was on life support until his death.
Investigators say Keith Lilly Jr. attacked the child, leaving him with a fractured skull, a brain bleed, significant bruising, bodily injuries to the eyes and mouth, other fractures in the process of healing and indications of past sexual abuse.
Police say an autopsy revealed the baby’s cause of the death was blunt force trauma to the head.
- Teresa Fetterman Waives Preliminary Hearing
- Councilman Working To Create Permanent Memorial For 3-Year-Old Boy Who Died After Allegedly Being Beaten By His Mother’s Boyfriend
- Community Members Gather To Remember Mikel Fetterman, Demand Justice
- Westmoreland Co. Man Now Facing Homicide, Sexual Abuse Charges In Death Of 2-Year-Old Boy
- 2-Year-Old Boy Allegedly Beaten By His Mother’s Boyfriend Dies
- ‘Just A 2-Year-Old Little Boy’: Man Accused Of Brutally Beating Girlfriend’s Son Who Is Now On Life Support
Police arrested Lilly on charges of aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of children. He was later charged with criminal homicide and deviate sexual intercourse with a child with serious bodily harm after Fetterman died in April.
His mother, Teresa Fetterman, has also been charged with endangering the welfare of a child, aggravated assault and drug-related charges.