PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Chef Bill Fuller has a new take on a New Year’s Day food tradition!
A New Take on Pork and ‘Kraut for New Year’s Day
Korean Bo Saam
- Slow-Roasted Pork Butt
- Bi Bim Bap Sauce
- Korean Barbecue Sauce
- Cucumber-Roasted Carrot Salad
- Kim Chi
- Cucumber Kim Chi
- Iceberg lettuce cups
- Soft Rolls
- Fresh herbs basil, cilantro, mint
1. Make Bi Bim Bap Sauce Pork Butt, Gochujang Sauce, Cucumber-Roasted Carrot Salad.
2. Place pork in lettuce cups or buns with your choice of ingredients!
Slow-Roasted Pork Butt
- 1 ea. 6-7# piece pork butt (shoulder)
- 2 Tbs Kosher salt
- 2 Tbs. Black pepper
- 1 C. Water or stock
- 4-6 ea. Cloves garlic
1. Mix salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
2. Place pork butt in a baking dish. Rub seasoning mix into meat on all sides. Let pork butt sit in refrigerator overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350°.
4. Place pork butt in oven for 90 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to 300°. Add stock, and garlic.
6. Cook for approximately 2 hours until the shoulder bone pulls out of the meat easily.
Korean Barbecue Sauce
- ¼ C. Peanut oil
- 2 each White onions, diced large
- ¼ C. Garlic, roughly chopped
- ¼ C. Ginger root, roughly chopped
- ½ C. Brown sugar
- 1/3 C. Soy sauce
- 1/3 C. Goju Jang
- 2/3 C. Water
- 1 Tbs. Sesame oil
1. Sweat onions and garlic in peanut oil until translucent and lightly browned. Add ginger and cook until it begins to release its aroma.
2. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Puree, pass through a fine mesh strainer.
Yield: About 1 qt. Lasts a few weeks in the refrigerator.
Bi Bim Bap Sauce
- 2/3 C. Gochujang Paste
- 1/3 C. Mirin
- ¼ C. Sesame oil
- ¼ C. Water
1. Combine all ingredients
Cucumber – Roasted Carrot Salad
- 2 # Medium carrots, cut into 1” chunks, roasted until soft and allowed to cool.
- 1 ea. Large englis cucumber, cut into 1 “ chunks
- Approximately ½ C. Tahini Cilantro Dressing.
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ C Chopped Marcona almonds
- Sprinkle of Sichimi Togaraschi – find in any store that sells Japanese food ingredients
1) Place carrots, cucumbers, and dressing in bowl.
2) Toss and taste. Adjust seasonings and dressing.
3) Place on plate.
4) Top with almonds and sichimi togaraschi.
Tahini Cilantro Dressing
- ¼ C. Yellow miso
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons
- Zest and juice of 3 limes
- ½ C. Olive oil
- ¼ C. Tahini
- 1 Tbs. Cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Honey
- ½ tsp. Ground coriander
- ½ C. Minced ginger
- ½ C. Slices scallions
- 2 C. Roughly chopped cilantro, including stems
- Salt and pepper to taste.
1) Combine miso, lemon juice, lime juice, tahini, cider vinegar, honey, cilantro, chives, ginger, coriander and scallion in the barrel of a blender.
2) Puree ingredients well.
3) Drizzle in olive oil.
4) Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ginger Fried Rice
- 2 Tbs. Oil
- 1 Tbs. Chopped garlic
- 1 Tbs Chopped ginger
- 1 Tbs. Sliced scallions
- 1 Tbs. Chopped cilantro
- 2 C. Cooked, cooled white rice
- 2 Tsp. Sesame oil
- 2 Tsp. Fish sauce
1. Heat wok or skillet over high heat.
2. Add a pinch of ginger and garlic, stir-fry.
3. Add a pinch of scallion and cilantro, stir-fry.
4. Add rice, stir-fry.
5. Season with sesame oil and fish sauce, stir-fry.