PITTSBURGH (AP/KDKA) — Viola Davis and the late Chadwick Boseman have nabbed Golden Globe nominations for their performances in Netflix’s “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom,” which was filmed here in Pittsburgh.
The film is based on the critically-acclaimed play by Pittsburgh playwright August Wilson.READ MORE: PPG Paints Arena Welcomes Back Pittsburgh Penguins Fans
It ended up being Boseman’s final film role before his death last year after battling cancer.
Boseman is up for Best Actor in a Motion Picture; and Davis is nominated for Best Actress in a Motion Picture.
- Denzel Washington Eyeing Pittsburgh For Another Film
- ‘Black Panther’ Star Chadwick Boseman Dies Of Cancer At 43
- Chadwick Boseman’s Death Highlights How Colon Cancer Disproportionately Affects Black Men
- Netflix Releases Images Of Chadwick Boseman’s Final Role, Filmed In Pittsburgh
- Netflix Releases Trailer Of Chadwick Boseman’s Final Performance In ‘Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom,’ Made In Pittsburgh
- ‘Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom’ Nominated For 9 NAACP Image Awards
Davis also starred in “Fences,” which was filmed in Pittsburgh as well.READ MORE: 2 Flown To Hospital After Multi-Vehicle Crash In Westmoreland County
Netflix dominated Wednesday’s Golden Globe nominations announcement thanks to both its films and television series.
David Fincher’s “Mank” topped the list with six nods.
The film about “Citizen Kane” co-writer Herman Mankiewicz, landed nominations for best film, drama; best actor for Gary Oldman; best director for Fincher, best supporting actress for Amanda Seyfried; best score; and best screenplay for Jack Fincher, the director’s father who penned the script before dying in 2003.
In addition to “Mank,” the nominees for best motion picture drama are “The Father”; “Nomadland”; “The Trial of the Chicago 7” and “Promising Young Woman.”
Netflix’s “The Crown” led all television nominees with six.MORE NEWS: As People Struggle To Secure Unemployment Benefits, Prosecutors Say Fraud Is Widespread
(TM and © Copyright 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)