McKeesport Fire Chief Jeff Tomoycsik: "If this turns out to be fireworks-related, which we're looking at right now, it could've gone bad quickly."By Briana Smith

MCKEESPORT (KDKA) – One man was airlifted to the hospital as a result of a fire in McKeesport early on Thursday morning.

Photo Credit: KDKA Photojournalist Brian Smithmyer

According to firefighters on the scene, the call came in just before 3 a.m. for a two-alarm in the 2600 block of Banker Street.

READ MORE: Police Surround Home In Moon Township

It is believed the fire may have been the result of fireworks as materials that could be used to make fireworks were found inside the home.

“If this turns out to be fireworks-related, which we’re looking at right now, it could’ve gone bad quickly,” said Chief Jeff Tomoycsik of the McKeesport Fire Department. “I would say they’re fortunate it wasn’t worse than what it was.”

The second floor of the home sustained extensive damage and along with the one person hospitalized, two other adults have been displaced.

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

Later in the morning, the Allegheny County Bomb Squad arrived on the scene to investigate the fire. They were seen removing boxes of fireworks from the home.

Colleen Murphy, the wife of the man who was airlifted to the hospital, said that he sustained burns on his chest and arms but was alert and speaking.

READ MORE: Woman Charged In Connection With Shooting Death Of 18-Year-Old North Hills Graduate Ahmir Tuli

“He’s talking and stuff. It’s not horrible,” she said. “It sounds like from the extent of it, he’s very lucky that that’s all that happened.”

She said she was sleeping at the time of the fire.

“I woke to a whole bunch of ‘pop, pop, pop,’ and I ran, I couldn’t even see up in the attic, there was so much smoke, but I could see fireworks going off everywhere, out the windows, I’m surprised it didn’t go through the roof,” she said.

Murphy said that they do buy fireworks legally and hold shows.

She said that her husband turned on a fan and then the fire started, leading her to believe an electrical problem set off the fireworks.

The fire marshal is investigating the cause of the fire.

MORE NEWS: 19-Year-Old Worker Dies On Neville Island After Falling 50-60 Feet Off Roof

The Red Cross is assisting the family who is hoping to move back in soon.