Veterans Day is the official holiday that honors people who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces. A national ceremony is held yearly at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia commencing with a wreath being laid on the Tomb of the Unknowns. It is celebrated yearly on November 11. Pittsburgh celebrates with activities and events for veterans. Here are some events in Pittsburgh to honor vets.
16th Annual Veterans Day Breakfast
Duquesne University Union Ballroom
600 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
Date: Nov. 11, 2014
Veterans Leadership Program of Western Pennsylvania (VLP) will host over 700 guests at the 16th Annual Veterans Day Breakfast. The Breakfast will feature live entertainment, a keynote address and immediately following the event, story telling by veterans. The VLP was founded in 1982 by Vietnam veterans. Each year, VLP serves more than 2,200 veterans and their families and makes over 6,400 referrals for essential services. It operates one of the nation’s most effective homeless veteran employment programs that places veterans in meaningful jobs.
Veterans Day Ceremony
National Cemetery of the Alleghenies
1158 Morgan Road
Bridgeville, PA 15017
Date: Nov. 11, 2014
The program format for the Veterans Day Ceremony at the National Cemetery of the Alleghenies is detailed below and guests are asked to arrive no later than 10 a.m. to be seated in time for the ceremony:
- The Presentation of Colors – The Seneca Valley HS Army JROTC, Washington County Young Marines, Penn Hills High School Navy JROTC and the Civil Air Patrol Golden Triangle Composite Squadron 603
- National Anthem – Canon-McMillan High School
- Invocation – The Very Reverend Father George York, VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System
- Welcome by the Director – Ronald M. Hestdalen, National Cemetery of the Alleghenies
- Keynote Address – Brigadier General Larry Luba (US Army National Guard, ret.)
- Wreath Presentation – VIP
- Rifle Salute and Taps – Marines Corps League, Washington County Detachment 1138
- Musical Presentations – Canon-McMillan High School Band and Kate Matthews (Bagpiper)
- Benediction – The Very Reverend Father George York
- Master of Ceremonies – Jonathan Meier, National Cemetery of the Alleghenies
2014 Operation Troop Appreciation Veterans Day 5K
Hampton Community Park
3101 McCully Road
Allison Park, PA, 15101
Date: Nov. 9, 2014
The 8th Annual Operation Troop Appreciation Veterans Day 5K is a scenic course through Hampton Community Park. It offers all participants great race embellishments. The festivities include music, awards and apple pies for the top three finishers in 13 age groups, a post-race all American buffet, door prizes and knowing your participation will help send holiday care packages to our active duty troops. The price is $15 per runner or a group rate of $75 for five members.
Date: Nov. 10, 2014
VA Pittsburgh in partnership with Easter Seals is hosting an educational day for caregiver support. The event is free and early reservations are requested as space is limited. Lunch will be provided by Panera Bread. The Managing Stress session will take place from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., and Problem Solving and Effective Communication will take place from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
3340 McIntyre Square Dr.
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
Dare: Nov. 11, 2014
Great Clips offers free haircuts for veterans on Veterans Day. Although it is national chain, local franchise owners honor this with proper identification. This offer requires military ID or other proof of service, such as a veterans organization card (e.g. VFW, American Legion), or military discharge papers.
Diane Straka is a freelance writer whose work can be found on http://www.examiner.com/finance-in-pittsburgh/diane-straka