SOUTH HUNTINGDON TWP. (KDKA) — Two men were rushed to the hospital Sunday night after a fireworks accident in Westmoreland County.

Ronny Stahl, 46, and his friend Dave Keefer were setting off a firework in front of Stahl’s South Huntingdon Township home when something went terribly wrong.

Stahl says the men placed a small mortar inside of a cinder block before igniting it, but the fuse was apparently too short and the cinder block was too old.

The cinder block exploded along with the mortar and because the fuse was too short the men weren’t able to get away quickly enough.

Stahl was rushed by ambulance to Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital with injuries to his arm and face. His friend was flown to West Penn Hospital in Pittsburgh.

Both men are going to be OK and are back home enjoying what is left of the Fourth of July holiday.

For Stahl, that means working on his farm. He says he won’t let this year’s mishap keep him from celebrating the Fourth of July in the future.

Westmoreland County
More News from Westmoreland County

KDKA On Facebook
KDKA On Twitter
Follow KDKA Personalities

Watch & Listen LIVE