SHALER TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — Crews battled intense heat and flames at a home in Shaler Township Friday morning. When firefighters arrived, they found a man trying to douse the blaze with a garden hose.

According to emergency officials, the blaze broke out in the 900-block of Charles Street around 6:30 a.m. and flames quickly began eating away at the roof.

“It looks like it started up in the attic in that crawl space, cause that’s where the majority of the fire was,” said Capt. Jim Kuemmer, of the Undercliff Volunteer Fire Company.

When firefighters got on scene they found the homeowner trying to put the fire out with a garden hose, but it quickly became apparent that the blaze was just too big.

“The homeowner was actually trying to use a garden hose to attack the fire, not too successful with that – trying to kill a giant with a bow and arrow,” Capt. Kuemmer said.

Firefighters would eventually get the upper hand. However, this morning’s humidity did cause some problems.

“We rotated crews of three or four men in or out every 15 minutes really trying to prevent any injury to them, exhaustion, knowing that it’s early but it’s still humid out here,” added Capt. Kuemmer.

No injuries were reported.

Officials say the fire was possibly caused by an attic vent fan, but investigation continues.

Shaler Township Fire Departments
More Local News

Watch & Listen LIVE