WEST BROWNSVILLE (KDKA) – When Ron Higenbotham looked outside towards his neighbors’ home in West Brownsville Friday morning, he knew there was a problem.

“I [saw] an orange ball in my Venetian blinds and I said, ‘Too early for the sun,’” he said.

READ MORE: Teenager Taken To Hospital After Being Stabbed Multiple Times

Chuck and Irene Barnett’s home had gone up in flames near the kitchen.

Ron and his wife got their 21-year-old grandson, Kyle, out of bed and went two doors down to help.

“I had my pajamas on, beater shirt and I just jumped out of bed, run straight down the steps,” he said.

No one could get close to the flames in the back so they went to the front door.

By then, 80-year-old Chuck Barnett was trying to drag his wife who uses a wheelchair out of the house through the hallway.

READ MORE: PennDOT Looking To Fill Plow Driver Positions As Winter Weather Approaches

“I went to go in the house and smoke got me right away – bad heart and that,” Ron said.

That’s when Kyle took over helping the couple get out of the house.

“He had his wife, they were coming down the hallway and I just kind of jumped in and helped him pull her out because she is disabled,” he said.

“Doing the neighborly thing helping out, doing especially when someone is in the face of danger, you gotta do what you have to do,” Kyle added.

Kyle and his grandmother got blankets and helped the couple until firefighters and paramedics arrived.

The couple is being treated for smoke inhalation at Mon Valley Hospital. They are expected to be released Saturday.

MORE NEWS: Pa. Supreme Court To Take Up School Mask Mandate Case

More Local News
More Fayette County News