PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Impress your friends at your next tailgate party with this recipe from Rania Harris!
This week on the PNC Steelers Huddle, Rania is making Hearty Beef Stew in the Heinz Red Zone!
Don’t forget to tune into the PNC Steelers Huddle Show each Saturday after the 11:00pm news on KDKA-TV for more of Rania’s recipes!
STEELERS HUDDLE “Heinz Red Zone Recipe”: Hearty Beef Stew
3 pounds beef sirloin – cut in 1-inch pieces and dusted with flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced red bell peppers
3 cups beef stock
4 Idaho potatoes – peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
3 large carrots, diced
2 16-ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 cup Heinz® Ketchup
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 cups frozen peas
Cooked buttered noodles
1. In a large pot, brown stew meat in vegetable oil until well-browned and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove meat from pot and set aside.
2. Add onions, celery and red bell peppers to remaining liquid (from the meat) in the pot and sauté until tender.
3. Add browned meat to the pot and add enough beef stock to cover (approximately 3 cups). Add the potatoes and carrots and cook until tender.
4. Add tomatoes and Heinz Ketchup. Bring to boil and then simmer for 25 minutes.
5. Add frozen peas. Cover and continue to cook the stew just until the peas are heated through. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Serve stew over buttered noodles and sprinkle with chopped parsley.