Nothing hits the spot during the long winter days like a good bowl of soup. Be sure to try out this award-winning recipe in your home today!
2012 Best Soup – Pineapple / Tomatillo / Habanero SoupREAD MORE: 2 Boats On North Side Catch Fire
The Smiling Moose, Chef Christopher “Locke” Cook
• 10 – 14 Tomatillos
• 1 Pineapple
• 2 Red Peppers
• 1 Habanero Pepper
• 1 Small White Onion
• 1 Garlic Clove
• 8 Fresh Basil Leaves
• 3 Cups Pineapple Juice
• 1 Tbsp Honey
• 2 tsp Kosher Salt
• 2 tsp Black Pepper
• Olive oil for cooking
DirectionsREAD MORE: Pediatrician Says Some Kids May Be Anxious Going Back To In-Person Classes
• Roast red peppers whole in oven. Let cool. Remove skin and seeds. Slice into strips.
• In large pot, sweat diced onion and garlic.
• Remove husks and stems from tomatillos. Clean them with warm water and coarsely chop. Remove skin and core from pineapple and coarsely chop. Chop basil leaves.
• Wearing gloves, dice habanero pepper. Save the seeds if you would like a spicier soup. Add roasted red pepper, pineapple, tomatillo, habanero and basil to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft .
• Add pineapple juice and honey to pot. Let contents simmer for about a half hour. Puree and serve.MORE NEWS: Raccoon Rabies Vaccine Baits To Be Dropped From The Sky In Allegheny County
Serves 6 – 8 people