WASHINGTON, Pa. (KDKA) – Two friends from Washington are now dead after an apparent murder-suicide, and family members say it could be over concert tickets for the band Phish.

According to police, Nate Roman and Michael Marchines were inside Hungry Jose’s on South Main Street in Washington until just before 2:30 a.m. Thursday.

READ MORE: Paperless Ticketing Leads To Long Lines Outside Heinz Field Ahead Of Steelers Game

Sources said there was a fight between the two, but police would not elaborate or release details on what they may have been fighting about.

A short time after leaving, Roman was shot multiple times. He died at a local hospital.

Family members say they had heard the men may have been fighting over Phish concert tickets, and that Roman had recently purchased $3,000 dollars in Phish concert tickets.

“Nathan was a coal miner and liked to travel and see the Phish. He worked hard, he enjoyed traveling all over the world to watch these guys,” says Nathan’s stepfather Harry Damerow.

Police said a third man, who was also at the bar, found Roman and called police. Investigators began searching the area looking Marchines and were tracking his cell phone.

“We do know the second victim shooting, there was a delay between that,” Lt. Dan Stanek said. “He was moving around, his phone was moving, and our officers were searching the area.”

READ MORE: Longtime Fire Chief Kevin Peters Passes Away After Battle With Pancreatic Cancer

After already searching the area, police circled around and found Marchines further down South Main Street with a gunshot wound to the head.

He had not been in that area during the initial search, again, leading police to believe that there may have been a good 30 minutes between the two shootings.

Roman’s sister, Casey Roman told KDKA reporter Brenda Waters, that she would not be surprised if her brother and Michael Marchines argued over Phish tickets.

“I could believe it. They lived for that all the way,” Casey Roman says. “I total believe it. My brother just purchased $3000 worth of Phish tickets and planned to have a really good time with them.”

The motive is unknown. Police have recovered surveillance video that may help in the investigation.


MORE NEWS: 'We're Ready To Go': Steelers Fans Thrilled At The Chance To Tailgate, Watch Home Game At Heinz Field

More Washington County News
More Local News
More Reports From Heather Abraham

Heather Abraham