MCKEESPORT (KDKA) – A McKeesport neighborhood was evacuated Tuesday morning after a large gas leak.

According to officials at the scene, the break happened in the 2400-block of Walnut Street around 9:45 a.m.

READ MORE: Man In Critical Condition After Falling Over Hillside During Police Chase In Brighton Heights

An independent company working on a catch basin struck a four-inch, high-pressure gas line that fed into the CPI Mill, which does pipe work.

One block of houses that sits right in front of the mill was evacuated including five adults, three children and an infant.

READ MORE: Police: Man Killed 94-Year-Old Grandfather And Sent Video Of Killing To Family Members

“Scared of blowing up. I have three kids so I was worried about them smelling it, house [catching] on fire, anything like that,” Amanda Bowling said.

Equitable Gas crews assisted the independent crew with putting a sleeve over the break. It has now been sealed and everyone is back inside their homes.


MORE NEWS: Experts Say Incentives To Vaccinate Work On Some But Not Everyone

More Local News
More McKeesport News
More Reports From Brenda Waters