DERRY TOWNSHIP (KDKA) – A business in Westmoreland County was destroyed by a fire late Sunday night.

According to officials at the scene, the fire broke out at The Cheese House on Route 22 in Derry Township around 11 p.m.

When firefighters arrived, thick smoke and flames were shooting out of the building. The flames were so intense that firefighters had to battle the blaze from the outside.

The flames also caused part of the building to collapse.

One firefighter was treated at the scene after slipping on some ice, but there were no serious injuries.

“Other than a few firemen who slipped and fell on the ice, nothing serious. We’re very fortunate,” Ab Detorre with the Blairsville Fire Department said.

The establishment is best known for its selection of specialty wines and cheeses.

“This business has been here probably since 1965 under different ownership, of course. But, it’s been here a long time. Unfortunately, there’s nothing left. Usually in cases like this, where there’s nobody in the building and it’s somewhat suspicious, they will certainly look for an answer,” Dettorre said.

While the cause of the fire is believed to be electrical, the fire marshal will be at the scene Monday.

The Cheese House is located across the street from the Blairsville VFW, which burned down in 2010. That fire was determined to be an accidental and started with some faulty wiring in a beer cooler.

However, the VFW was able to rebuild.

“We were fortunate. The old place we had was 1947 when we moved in there, so now we have a new facility and it’s doing very well,” Blairsville VFW Manager Bruce Zedick said.


More Local News
More Westmoreland County News
More Reports From Trina Orlando
Join The Conversation, Like KDKA On Facebook
Follow KDKA On Twitter

Watch & Listen LIVE