ROSS TOWNSHIP (KDKA) – A man is now facing charges in connection with an early morning fire that destroyed a home in Ross Township.
Police have charged Thomas Bour with three counts of arson and risking a catastrophe. The fire happened at a home on 147 Rochester Road.
When crews were called to the scene Friday morning, it was fully engulfed in flames.
“It was this morning at approximately 7:45 that we were notified from a passerby that the home in question had caught on fire,” said Ross Township Police Sgt. Ben Dripps.
Aerial views of the home show it’s in a wooded area not far from North Hills High School. The entire structure of the house appears to have been destroyed by the large, powerful flames.
Police say Bour had lived in the home with his wife, but Thursday night he was served with a non-eviction Protection From Abuse order from his wife.
She had been staying elsewhere with relatives.
Police say they found Bour on the property after the fire started, but not in the house. He’s was questioned by authorities Friday afternoon.
“He has since admitted to lighting the fire,” said Dripps. “It was his intent to burn that house down. His quotes were that he built the house and he burned it down.”
Police say early this morning Bour headed to a nearby Sunoco, filled a couple cans of gas, headed home, sprinkled the gas all over the home and lit it with a torch.
Police say he threatened to do it before.
“It is alleged in the PFA that had his wife ever left him, he would burn the house down,” Dripps said.
On his way out of the police station, he told KDKA’s Paul Martino that he has regrets.
KDKA’s Paul Martino: “Do you have any regrets, sir?”
Martino: “What do you regret?”
Bour: “Wish it would never happen.”
The North Hills School District also sent out a statement saying the secondary school’s campus “is operating under heightened security due to a fire in the area and police action related to that fire.”
“At this time, North Hills administrators are following the steps outlined in our district safety plan. Students will stay in their buildings, and all outdoor activities are canceled until further notice,” part of the statement read. Officials with the district distinguished that the buildings were not on lockdown, however.
No injuries were reported.
Stay with KDKA for more information.
You May Also Be Interested In These Latest News Stories
Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter