WILKINSBURG (KDKA) — One day after a fatal fire left several people homeless in Wilkinsburg, family and friends gathered together to remember the woman who was killed.
Veda Moore died Thursday when flames swept through her Wesley Street townhouse.
A candlelight vigil was held in her memory Friday evening, outside the home where she perished.
Her husband, Jesse Moore, stood outside the charred home weeping and clutching their 11-year-old daughter, DaNaeya.
“The worst day of my life, I can’t believe this has happened to us, to my family,” said Moore. “This happens to other people, not me, not my daughter.”
He was at work when the fire broke out. He said he spoke to his wife moments before the blaze erupted and everything appeared to be fine.
“She was a loving mother. The best mother that anybody could ever ask for,” Moore said. “A loving wife and she will be sorely missed. She didn’t deserve this. My daughter don’t have a mom.”
The victim’s father, Rudolf Kitchens, said they don’t understand yet why or how the tragedy happened.
“There’s nothing you can say,” he said. “Words can’t bring her back. It’s just the reality that she’s gone.”
There was a balloon release in Veda’s memory and candles were lit outside the now boarded-up front door of the dwelling.
The Allegheny County Fire Marshal has not determined an exact cause; however, the blaze appears to have started in the kitchen area.
You May Also Be Interested In These Latest News Stories
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]
Woman Dies In Wilkinsburg Apartment Fire (9/11/14)
Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter