MARS (KDKA) — Students and staff were forced to evacuate Mars Area High School in Butler County when smoke filled the building on Tuesday morning.
According to school district officials, firefighters determined the smoke was caused by a malfunctioning heating unit in the high school’s wrestling room.READ MORE: COVID-19 In Pennsylvania: State Health Department Reports 1,730 New Cases, 38 Additional Deaths
The building’s ventilation system sent a smoky haze through the building, but officials say there was no evidence of any fire.
The students were evacuated to Mars Area Middle School, but were able to return to the high school to be dismissed for the day.
Crews were working to ventilate the school.READ MORE: Man Arrested On Arson Charges In Spaghetti And Steakhouse Restaurant Fire
In a letter to parents, district officials thanked the firefighters for their quick response:
“Mars Area School District would like to thank our local fire departments for their quick and diligent response to this incident and for their continued support of the District’s efforts to ensure the safety of our students, faculty and staff members.”
No injuries were reported.MORE NEWS: Victor Steban, Captured For Questioning In Westmoreland Co. Double Homicide, Found To Have Lengthy Criminal History
You May Also Be Interested In These Latest News Stories
[display-posts category=”news” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4″]
Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter