PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Doctors say a dog is recovering after surgery to remove a pair of calf-high leather boots the animal had eaten.

The Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center in Philadelphia says the 4-year-old mixed breed male named Vince ate the women’s boots Friday afternoon.

READ MORE: Pittsburgh Weather: NWS Confirms Tornadoes Touched Down In Western Pennsylvania On Thursday Night

Officials said the volume consumed was so large that the dog’s stomach was unable to pass the material into the small intestines, so the pet underwent surgery Saturday afternoon.

Officials said surgery or endoscopy is often needed when dogs eat something they shouldn’t, since it can obstruct the digestive tract and perforate the intestines.

READ MORE: Protester Sues City, Three Pittsburgh Police Officers Claiming He Was Injured In Last Year's Protests

People with pets experiencing vomiting, lethargy or lack of appetite may be a sign a foreign body is present, and the animals should be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

MORE NEWS: South Hills Village Mall Offering Active Shooter Preparedness Training To Retailers

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)