UPTOWN (KDKA) – A man is recovering in the hospital after he was spotted running down the street while on fire in Uptown in the early hours of Friday morning.

It didn’t take authorities long to figure out what happened, as several witnesses saw him covered in flames.

READ MORE: NFL Week 13 AFC East Preview: CBS Boston's Levan Reid Calls AFC East Title Fight A Battle Of 'Big Brother Vs Little Brother'

He was first seen on Bigelow Boulevard near Consol Energy Center.

The man is reportedly homeless and said he caught fire after a lighter exploded, also catching his tent on fire.

READ MORE: Ringgold Teacher Accused Of Attacking Daughter At School

He reportedly jumped from Bigelow onto Interstate 579. He was eventually found on Forbes Avenue.

“We located him sitting on a bench and he did have severe burns on his body,” said Pittsburgh Police spokesperson Sonya Toler. “According to his story, he was using a lighter – this was a homeless man – and he was using a lighter to set a fire, most probably to keep himself warm as the temperatures dip, and the lighter malfunctioned.”

The man was taken to Mercy Hospital.

He is listed in critical, but stable condition with burns on over half of his body.

MORE NEWS: SportsLine Week 13 AFC West Picks: 'Denver Designed Well To Stop What Kansas City Does,' Says Larry Hartstein

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter