PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — There are new developments in the fatal shooting of a security guard inside of a Homewood bar last month.
In addition to a look at new surveillance video from inside the bar, charges against one of the defendants were dismissed Wednesday and three others are headed for trial.
It was the night of Feb. 16. A charity event was being held at the Rendezvous Phase III Bar.
Before the night was over, the bar’s security guard Deion Nesbitt was shot dead. It was all captured on surveillance video.
Authorities say the video shows Nesbitt pounce on suspect Harvey Scott as he tried to throw Scott out of the bar. Nesbitt, who was licensed and certified, drew his gun. But during the struggle, the gun came free, and was kicked out of sight.
Turns out, there was a second gun. It fired several shots at Nesbitt. Police say Scott was the gunman, but his attorney claims there’s no evidence.
“After hearing all the evidence presented here today, and watching the video, there is no evidence that he possessed a firearm and fired a shot,” said Ken Haber, the defense attorney.
After the shooting, Nesbitt slumped over the bar. Authorities say the video shows Scott approach, have words with him, he appears to shove him and then leaves.
Meanwhile, the guy who kicked the gun out the way during the scuffle, he’s identified as Eric McGuire. All charges were dropped against him.
“He tried to prevent a catastrophe,” defense attorney Wendy Williams said. “There’s a loaded gun on the floor of a bar, people were fighting, he kicked it, which is what I think a lot of us would do.”
The three other suspects – Scott, Tiquan Green and Kevin Ford – will all stand trial for homicide.