CASTLE SHANNON (KDKA)- A couple had to be rushed to the hospital for burns after a three-alarm fire in Castle Shannon.

The fire started just after midnight at a home in the 3500 block of Middleboro Road.

When fire crews arrived on the scene, the couple and their two children were standing at a neighbor’s home. The couple had burns on their arms and legs and were taken to the burn unit at UPMC Mercy Hospital. According to neighbors, the husband burned his hands when he tried to put the fire out.

“It was shooting out the top windows upstairs, which we were really worried because I know the girls’ bedroom is upstairs, but we found out pretty quickly that they were out and safe,” Heather Arment, a neighbor, said.

The father was able to get his wife and two girls under 10 out of the house. They stayed at the neighbor’s while crews knocked down the flames.

The two children were taken by their grandfather.

“We believe the fire started in a back bedroom, possibly oxygen,” said Castle Shannon VFD Chief Bill Reffner. “We have the fire marshal investigating.”

Reffner said the home had oxygen tanks inside because the woman living there recently had surgery.

The fire caused heavy damage to the back of the house, and it stretched up into the attic and on the roof.

Firefighters tried to save what they could for the family.

“Bringing out valuables for the grandfather to take with him, some Christmas presents we think we can get,” Reffner said.

Firefighters were able to save some presents. Three pets inside the home died, but other pets were rescued.

“It’s a tough time of the year to have this happen with kids,” said Chief Reffner. “We’re making sure the kids are emotionally okay. We found a couple of turtles downstairs, made sure the kids knew their turtles were okay.”

The Red Cross was called to the scene to help the family out with any food, clothing or shelter they may have needed. The two children who escaped the fire will be staying with their grandfather until their parents are released from the hospital.

Neighbors said that they’re trying to get together and help out the family who is now in desperate need.

Monetary donations for the Mangan family are being accepted at any First National Bank.

Clothes, shoes, toys or other donations can be taken to the following locations:

  • First National Bank on Castle Shannon Road
  • Castle Shannon Police Department (412)-885-9300
  • Castle Shannon Fire Department (412)-884-7913

The girls’ clothing sizes are 8 and 10, while their shoe sizes are 2 and 3.

For the adults, size small for women’s clothing and size extra large for men’s.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter