Chef Anthony Marino (and his mom!) stopped by PTL today to share a festive, holiday recipe!
- 1 (10 inch tube pan) angel food cake
- 6 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple in heavy syrup, drained with syrup reserved
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 (10 oz. ) package flaked coconut
- 2 (.25 oz.) packages unflavored gelatin
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 cup boiling water
1. Line a 4 quart round mixing bowl with parchment paper.
2. Break up cake into small, bite-sized pieces.
3. Drain the crushed pineapple, reserve the syrup. You should have 1 cup of syrup. If not, add enough water to make 1 cup.
4. Dissolve the gelatin into the 4 tablespoons of cold water. Add the boiling water, pineapple syrup, sugar and lemon juice. Mix well and place in the refrigerator until the mixture just starts to thicken (about 30 minutes).
5. Add the crushed pineapple to the gelatin mix and then fold in 4 cups of the whipped topping.
6. Place a layer of cake pieces, then a layer of the pineapple mixture in the prepared bowl. Continue until all the cake and pineapple mixture is used up. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours or overnight.
7. Turn the chilled cake out onto a serving platter and frost it with the remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with the coconut.