The Fourth of July is coming and Rania Harris stopped by PTL to show off some delicious hot dog recipes!
South of the Border Dogs
- 8 Kosher hot dogs (4 hot dogs to a pound)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 8 fresh sub rolls – top sliced
- Chili (see recipe)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 firm, ripe Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup pickled jalapenos, drained
- Fiesta Sauce (see recipe)
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Siracha sauce, for serving
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Siracha sauce to taste
- Zest and juice of 1 lime (or more to taste)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grill the hot dogs just until they are plump and slightly charred; set aside.
Butter the outsides of the sub rolls and grill them until just golden brown.
Layer a spoonful of the chili on the bottom of each roll followed by a grilled hot dog. Top with the avocados, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and top with Fiesta Sauce. Garnish with some cilantro leaves and pass the Siracha Sauce.
Fiesta Sauce:READ MORE: AP Source: Pittsburgh Pirates, Catcher Roberto Pérez Reach 1-Year Deal
Combine the cilantro, mayonnaise, hot sauce, lime zest and juice and some salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk until well blended
The Burgh’s Own Dog
- 6 jumbo all beef hot dogs (6 to a pound)
- 6 top sliced hot dog buns
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 8 jarred pickled hot peppers
- Homemade Pickle Relish (recipe follows)
- Dijon Mustard
- Store bought coleslaw
- Frozen Fast Food Fries ~ made according to manufacture’s directions
Set up a large pot with a steamer insert and steam the hot dogs until warm, about 5 minutes. When the dogs are almost done, place the buns on top of the franks to steam, 1 to 2 minutes. Place the dogs in the buns and top each with some of the onions, hot peppers, homemade relish and slather with mustard. Finish by topping with a spoonful of the coleslaw and top with the fries.
Homemade Pickle Relish:
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 large dill pickles, finely diced
- 1 small roasted and peeled red pepper – finely diced
- 1 small roasted and peeled yellow pepper – finely diced
- 1 small Vidalia onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Directions:MORE NEWS: Duolingo Doubling Office Space In East Liberty
Bring vinegar, mustard seeds, and coriander seeds to a boil in a medium non-reactive saucepan – reduce heat and cook uncovered until reduced by half and slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat, add the remaining ingredients, and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.