By Lisa Washington

HERMITAGE (KDKA) — An employee at Walmart was shot four times by a co-worker after an alleged threat related to a dispute over gender transitioning, officials said.

Jayson Hall was taken to St. Elizabeth Hospital in Youngstown, Ohio, and last listed in stable condition. The suspect has been identified as Zachary Thomas McClimans, 22, of Sharon.

READ MORE: Pennsylvania Republicans Vote To Rebuke, Not Censure, Senator Pat Toomey Over Impeachment Vote
(Photo Credit: Lisa Washington/KDKA)

(Photo Credit: Lisa Washington/KDKA)

According to police, McClimans targeted the victim after an ongoing dispute.

McClimans told police he was in the process of transitioning from male to female. He says when he shared this information with his co-workers, the victim – one of his team members – became offended and threatened him.

McClimans told police shot Hall after the store management hadn’t made a decision about the status of Hall, who was threatening him.

In the criminal complaint, McClimans told police he used his grandfather’s gun to shoot Hall. After shooting him, he followed him back into the storage area of the store to make sure that he could see him fall, and that he would not bother him at work anymore.

Witnesses spotted McClimans sitting in a vehicle in the parking lot when police arrived.

“He (McClimans) was pointed out to us in a vehicle and officers were told that he was the shooter,” Hermitage Police Chief Eric Jewell told KDKA.

READ MORE: Pine-Richland School Board Delays Vote On In-Person Learning Plan As Group Holds Rally Outside Meeting

He is facing a list of charges including attempted murder in the first and third degree and aggravated assault.

“There was some pandemonium, as would be expected, but overall I think people evacuated the building got customers out, got everyone to a safe area,” Chief Jewell said.

No other injuries were reported and the store reopened around 4 a.m.

The store released the following statement about the incident:

“Our thoughts and prayers are with our associate at this time. The store remains closed, and we will continue working with local law enforcement.”

Stay with KDKA for the latest on this developing story.

MORE NEWS: Revolution Pipeline Back In Service Nearly 2.5 Years After Explosion In Beaver County

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter