PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Pittsburgh has many holiday traditions, such as Light Up Night, ice skating at PPG Place, the windows at Macy’s.
And because Pittsburgh has long been a diverse city with many cultures, several of the local holiday traditions come from early immigrants who came here with their own traditions and recipes.READ MORE: Three Shot, One Killed At Party In Knoxville
But one of Pittsburgh’s most beloved holiday traditions is the sweets! And that includes Pizzelles!
Ingredients:READ MORE: Restored Plane That Led D-Day Bombings Will Visit Dayton Ohio
- 12 eggs, separated
- 2 cups real butter (melted-cooled)
- 2 cups Domino sugar
- 5 tsp. of Baking powder
- 4-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tabs. Vanilla
- ½ tsp. Lorann lemon flavored oil
- Beat egg whites until peaks form.
- In separate bowl, beat all other ingredients together.
- Fold the second step batter into the beaten egg whites.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Dough is ready to be made into pizzelles.
**Pizzelles freeze well or the can be rolled and filled and they still stay crispy.**
NOTE: Rule of thumb – 1 tsp. of Lorann anise oil for every 6 eggs.MORE NEWS: Crews Spend Hours Recovering Car Found In The Allegheny River