By Lisa Washington

Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter

CARNEGIE (KDKA) – A water service outage in the Carnegie area took longer than expected, and many customers are frustrated they weren’t even notified it was going to take place.

According to an update from Pennsylvania American Water, crews began working to replace a 50-year-old water main Tuesday morning. That main is buried more than 10 feet below ground near the intersection of Bell Avenue and Noblestown Road.

After the water went out, many customers took to social media, upset that they weren’t notified of the service outage.


Waking up without running water in your home can be an adjustment to your routine.

“I have six children, not them, nor I, or their father was able to take a shower,” said Sarah Skees. “I wasn’t able to make bottles for my baby.”

Skees and other residents in Carnegie and Scott Township say their water company, Pennsylvania American Water, didn’t give them notice or timely updates about a water main replacement project.

Pennsylvania American Water pushed the expected completion time from 9 p.m. Tuesday to 2 a.m. Wednesday.

At 7:30 a.m., KDKA found residents who still didn’t have water in their homes.

“Not even a drip of water whenever I went to the bathroom. My toilet flushed, but I went to wash my hands and there was nothing,” Skees said.

Andrew Khoo said he felt, “Frustrated, I mean, still live here, still work here, what are you going to do?”

Khoo picked up the last gallon of water left at the site near Bell Avenue and Noblestown Road, where crews worked Tuesday evening. That’s the same time Carnegie Borough officials began offering water to residents.

Free bottled water was offered inside the borough building; a hose was attached to the outside spigot.

The Carnegie Borough manager said Pennsylvania American Water is providing a water buffalo to people in Carnegie and Scott Township who don’t have water. The water buffalo holds 2,500 gallons.

Pennsylvania American Water told KDKA the work was completed at 2 a.m., though it took longer than anticipated to fill a 24-inch pipe.

By mid-morning, some customers were seeing low-pressure water coming from their faucets.

Stay With For More Details

Watch & Listen LIVE