Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter

SOUTH SIDE (KDKA) – A woman has been arrested in connection with a fatal stabbing of her boyfriend on the South Side.

According to police, officers were called to the Brew House Loft apartments in the 700 block of South 21st Street around 10:50 p.m. Tuesday.

When they arrived, they found 49-year-old Daryl Waite lying on the floor of the lobby suffering from multiple stab wounds to the chest and one to the abdomen. He also had defensive wounds to his hands.

KDKA’s Meghan Schiller Reports —

Waite was transported in cardiac arrest to UPMC Mercy Hospital, where he died about an hour later.

According to the criminal complaint, Waite was stabbed inside an apartment on the third floor. Officers followed a trail of blood to the apartment, where they spoke with a witness.

The witness stated that her cousin, 52-year-old Cassandra Locke, and Waite, both from McKeesport, arrived at the apartment around 6 p.m. As the three shared a case of beer, Locke and Waite began to argue and “tussle.” Locke was described as being the aggressor by the witness.

The witness then saw Waite run out of the apartment while bleeding heavily. When confronted by the witness about what happened, Locke allegedly said, “I’m sick of him.”

Surveillance video allegedly shows Locke holding a knife outside of the trash room on the third floor of the building. Waite is also seen nearby in the video.

Locke has been arrested and will face homicide charges. Her bail was denied on Wednesday and she remains in jail.

“That’s pretty scary,” said Ed Anderson, apartment resident. “I didn’t know that it happened on the third floor and I live on the fourth.”

Residents said they’re surprised to hear the news that first responders found a man lying in a pool of his own blood in the lobby. Anderson said he didn’t even hear about the stabbing until KDKA-TV spoke with him Wednesday morning.

“If someone got murdered right under my floor, yeah, I’d kind of want to know right then. It would kind of be nice. Or some type of notification,” he said.

The apartment complex released a statement Wednesday morning saying: “To the best of our knowledge two guests visiting our property were involved in a domestic dispute. Unfortunately, it resulted in tragedy. Our deepest sympathy goes out to their families and all of those involved. We have and will continue to fully cooperate with authorizes in this matter.”

Police say the cousin who lives in the apartment where it happened told them that she began cleaning up the blood because she is on Section 8 housing in the building, and was afraid she would be evicted as a result of the stabbing.