Visit the links below for more on today’s guests & topics:
- Dick’s Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
- The Papa Cooking Show
- Roberto Clemente Jr. Brain App
- Food For The Hungry
- Bridge To Home Animal Rescue
- Pittsburgh Cares Volunteer Fair
- Pittsburgh Cultural Trust
Talia’s Meatball Recipe:
- 2 pounds grass fed beef
- 2 organic or pastured eggs (one egg per pound of meat)
- 1 cup pecorino Romano or parmigiana reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon organic oregano
- 1 tablespoon organic basil
- 1 small sweet onion and 6-8 cloves garlic chopped and sautéed on low heat to soften
- 8 oz whole milk ricotta cheese (4 oz per pound of meat) Himalayan Pink salt to taste (if using pecorino Romano cheese you won’t need much salt) Black pepper to taste
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
To the beef add ingredients in a wet then dry order then wet order.
Starting with the eggs, then the dry cheese, then parsley, then oregano and basil, then the sautéed onions and garlic, then the ricotta cheese, then salt and pepper to taste.
Mix thoroughly by hand till all ingredients are blended except the olive oil.
Before rolling each meatball coat hands lightly in olive oil. Roll meatballs to a size slightly larger than a golf ball. Recipe should make 20 to 24 meatballs.
Allow them to set for a few minutes then cook directly in the sauce at med/low heat for about an hour or till cooked through. Meatballs can be baked or pan fried as well but we prefer to cook them in the sauce.
- (3) 24 to 28 oz cans or jars of crushed or whole San Marzano tomatoes, (if using whole tomatoes crush them by hand first in a large bowl)
- (2) 6 oz cans organic tomato paste
- (1) medium sweet onion
- (1) bulb fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
- (1) tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Himalayan pink salt
- Black and crushed red pepper
- 1 cup red wine preferably Chianti but any red will do
In a large sauce pan sauté the chopped onion in the olive oil till soft then add the chopped garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes until translucent and aromatic.
Add the tomatoes and paste and stir till mixed thoroughly Add the basil, oregano, salt and pepper (add more or less of the crushed red pepper to taste, we like it a little spicy) Add half of the wine, stir and cook for 20 to 30 minutes stirring every 10 minutes. Add the remainder of the wine and cook another 30 minutes on med/low heat stirring frequently. While the sauce is cooking you can prepare the meatballs.