WEST DEER TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — Authorities say a man died after he came into contact with live power lines after a brush fire in West Deer Township Thursday.READ MORE: Failure To Follow Home Rule Charter On Council's Pay Raise Could Lead To Citizen Lawsuits, Says City Controller
According to the Allegheny County Police Department, first responders were sent to the 200 block of McKrell Road around 6:30 p.m. for a report of a brush fire.
READ MORE: Pa. Leaders Commit Millions Of Dollars To Help Organizations Targeted By Hate Crimes
Officials say a property owner was walking around his property to assess the damage caused by the fire when he came into contact with live power lines.
“The fire departments were starting to clean up. The property owner was beginning to walk his property to assess the damage to his property,” Steve Imbarlina, assistant chief of Allegheny County Emergency Services, said. “At that point, they noticed an arc, and it appears that the property owner came into contact with some live power lines and unfortunately succumbed to his injuries.”MORE NEWS: Washington County DA And Lawmaker Push To Upgrade Concealing Death Of Child To Felony
The victim has been identified as 56-year-old Terry Colton, of West Deer. The cause of death was determined to be high voltage electrocution.