Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter

GREENFIELD (KDKA) — Two people remain in the hospital and police are searching for a gunman after a shootout erupted outside of a Giant Eagle in the city’s Greenfield section on Friday afternoon.

It happened around 5:15 p.m. in the 4200 block of Murray Avenue.

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

The victims, a man and a woman, reportedly ran into the store to try to get help after they were shot. Both were taken to Pittsburgh hospitals.

One suffered serious injuries while the other person had only minor injuries. Police were questioning both of them.

One witness said they believed there were about 20 shots fired and the shots may have been fired from a vehicle.

“We smelled gunpowder and my husband immediately said get down, get down, it’s a shooting. Then we heard police and ambulances, and apparently a man and a woman were shot and ran into the Giant Eagle for help to get away from the gunfire,” witness Beth Blair said. “I hope I never experience anything like that again because that was quite frightening.”

KDKA’s Bob Allen Reports:


Police found several dozen shell casings at the scene.

The glass of a nearby bus shelter was shattered in the hail of bullets.

Pittsburgh’s Director of Public Safety Wendell Hissrich tells KDKA that the “investigation is still ongoing,” but we later confirmed that police are, indeed, searching for at least one other shooter.

Hissrich described the shooting as a “gun battle” outside the supermarket.

“It appears the gun exchange occurred totally outside the supermarket,” said Hissrich. “There were two vehicles that were also hit. It appears we were very fortunate no other individuals were struck by bullets.”

Witnesses tell KDKA’s Kym Gable the man who was shot returned fire as he lay injured on the ground.

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

An Army veteran who was inside his car in the parking lot heard the gunfire and urged everyone outside to take cover.

“Because I was in the Army, I was a medic, and I thought the first best thing to do was get down on the ground,” said James Blair. “I kind of scooted out onto the ground here and was yelling to people here, yelling to people there. [Because] there was a car here, I figured I had, if bullets came, I was at least down this far.”

The Giant Eagle location is closed until law enforcement completes their investigation.