BALDWIN (KDKA) – A man was overcome by fumes after he tried to climb into a manhole outside his Baldwin home Monday.
It happened around 2:30 p.m. in the 900 block of Angelo Drive.
RAW VIDEO —
A man had to be pulled by firefighters from a manhole after he removed the manhole cover and climbed down inside.
Baldwin Borough manager John Barrett said that the homeowner, believed to be in his early 70s, apparently climbed down into the sewer to do some work on the bricks that line the circular manhole wall. One neighbor indicated it wasn’t the first time the homeowner climbed into the manhole.
The unidentified victim may have poured some chemicals into the sewer and after he was overcome by fumes, he was unable to get out. His wife, who was nearby, called 911. Whether he was disabled by sewer gas or chemical fumes is unclear.
The victim was taken to the hospital by ambulance. Initially sources said he was reported to be in critical condition.
Barrett says the borough did not receive a request for assistance from the man before he went into the manhole and there was no indication that there was a problem with the sewer line in the neighborhood prior to Monday’s incident.
Stay With KDKA.com For More Details